- Skype added 39 million registered users in the fourth quarter to end the year with a total of 560 million.
- The number of Skype-to-Skype call minutes totaled 36.1 billion in the final three months of 2009.
- Skype users made more the 250 billion minutes worth of Skype-to-Skype calls from the time the service was launched through the end of 2009.
- Skype in 2009 accounted for 12 percent of the world’s international calling minutes, a 50 percent increase over 2008 when it accounted for 8 percent of international calling, according to TeleGeography Research.
- 36 percent of Skype-to-Skype calls as of the end of the fourth quarter included video — in other words, Skype is going to figure prominently in the video conferencing business, challenging more established players with its no-cost solution.
Skype has been providing great service to me for years now, and I fully support them. I remember making Skype call from my Windows Mobile phone through a wifi in Vietnam 3 years back. I hope more people will get on Skype so that I can stop using MSN Messanger 😉 That’s my take.
[ Gigaom ]