After my recent update (7th Feb 2011), I have been facing issues with Ubuntu Lucid (10.04), where it randomly does one (or all) of the below:
- display goes ‘fuzzy’ or ‘freezes’,
- the mouse can still move for a while at least.
- mouse freeze
- keyboard does not respond
If i am patient enough, I can wait and everything should be fine in 30 seconds. Sometimes if i am lucky, i get to use my system for 5 minutes before the whole thing repeats itself. Irritating, isn’t it?
Well…. i do have low tolerance for this kind of issues, it is unacceptable in so many levels, right? Thus, i went around surfing the net for a solution, and i have tried the below but it does not help:
- update / upgrade everything that is possible
- reinstall the Nvidia drivers
- install the latest Nvidia driver
- change Nvidia driver & preferences
- upgrade to Ubuntu Maverick (10.10)
- modify codes related to the my USB keyboard and mouse
- disable display effects: smooth fonts, visual effects… etc
After many re-installations of Ubuntu Maverick and trying out settings above, I am finally convince that the whole shebang is due to the Nvidia drivers and Xorg incompatibility. In the end i just did the simplest thing possible: DISABLE THE NVIDIA DRIVER
- System > Administration > Additional Drivers (Restricted Drivers)
- Click on the activated Nvidia driver
- Click on the ‘remove’ button towards the right bottom
Yes, it will disable all the fancy visual effects, but i get a stable system that does not randomly hang for the last 24 hours. And it is better for me this way, at least. That’s my take.